The Steering Group meets every 4-6 weeks to take the construction and other issues forward and to support the development of Events. New members with skills and interest, especially in supporting events, will be welcome.
So far the Steering Group has: :
- Surveyed the site
- Researched its history
- Brainstormed the benefits, possible uses and business potential of the site
- Carried out a questionnaire to which over 700 local people responded.
- Made presentations and run workshops with communities and other stakeholders
- Established Queen’s Park Arena as a charity and company limited by guarantee
- Liaised closely with GCC officers
- Established contact with community groups, arts organisations and other potential Arena users.
- Drawn up a design brief
- Held an architectural competition with Glasgow Institute of Architects, won by ZM Architecture
- Commissioned Business and Marketing Plans
- Raised over £180k and delivered the first phase of Arena restoration
- Held a launch event in October 2012 [link to video] supported by the National Lottery (Awards for All)
- Raised over £150k to deliver the second phase project
- Negotiated with Glasgow City Council for a lease to run the site as a community venue.
We all live locally and are all (except the Event Manager) volunteers giving our time freely. We are committed to developing partnerships with arts organisations and providing opportunities for local creativity to flourish and for community engagement and enjoyment. To be sustainable community participation and support are vital.
- Evelyn Silber (Langside, Battlefield and Camphill Community Council) – Chair
- David Seers
- June Bell
- Mark Charlwood (Mount Florida Community Council)
- Bob Marshall
- Keith Hawley (Crosshill / Govanhill Community Council)
- Bruce Wood
- Marie Davidson (Events Manager)
- Jacquelyn Williams (QPA Editor)
- Leanne McGuire
- Appointment pending (Shawlands and Strathbungo Community Council)